Sunday, August 26, 2007

Realisation Part 11: Under the Hands Of Healthcare Professionals and not-so-professionals

Ah! Delicious! Yum yum yum.... It has been so long since I last took fast food. Today is a happy day, I had a feast on hotdogs and burgers; 1901 and Burger King.

Who will suspect such famous and delicious food on a happy day is the beginning of a downturn of a good health. I felt bloated that night. Thinking probably i ate too much during the day, i ignored my abdomen discomfort. The discomfort did not go away the next day.I was thinking of giving it more time to subside but apparently it did not until the following day when things got worse.

Not knowing how way leads on to way, i gave myself a self-diagnosis and prescription of having indigestion. I gave myself carbon tablets. It did help a bit but the discomfort was still lingering. When it did not get better, i thought it was probably due to my underlying gastritis problems, so i took some magnesia milk. Little did i know half an hour after that, i vomited out every single thing i ate that day and the day before in two massive rounds. There starts the almost non-stop diarrhea that lasted for 6 days. Oral rehydration salt and atropine sulphate i took doesn't seem to work. The minimal amount of water i took was poured out and i was begging for water.

Thanks to KN and Nick for driving me to the nearest 24Hour clinic but got lost during our search (sorry for vomiting in your car too :$). Special thanks to Wei Chun who was so nice to purposely came out to bring us back on track. To thank them, i vomited ALL the medicine i took at the 24Hour Clinic after paying an exorbitant RM 70 consultation fee. To make things even more complicated, i felt that i need to be on drip as i was feeling like fainting. I was finally sent to the University Hospital for an emergency case. Again, i vomited for my 6th time and i swear it was my worse vomit ever...the most bitter (due to the medicine) and the most painful one (vomit pun tak de benda mau keluar, sigh).

The doctor on shift that time was professional. I like the way he posed his questions and try to diagnose my sickness. However, very soon, i fell asleep and i did not get to hear clearly what are my blood and urine test results are. I was told to have some infections. After the second pint of 0.9% sodium chloride intraveneous infusion, the doctor i admire was off shift already and i was taken over by another doctor. Since i was still very dry according to the doctor, i was put on drip for the third pint. Pity the three Samaritans who have yet to get any rest and was waiting for me. it was already 7.30am that time. Very soon, i was in dreamland again.

By the time i woke up, it was already 9am. I was left there alone but soon KN came then Nick alternately. We all have class at 10.30am that morning. Thanks to me they cant attend. No doctor attended me until acquired. Soon, they say okay, you can go back. take the medicine prescribed and finish all the antibiotics. Alright. Spending one hour waiting for the medication isnt too bad if the medication can cure me.

After 4 days taking the medication, and after seeing 4 doctors and on drip again in Ipoh (too dry) diarrhea is still there! Aha! I still feel like vomiting...not much difference... I almost have nothing else to eat other than glucose water and extremely soft porridge. Finally the truth came out when i decided to consult the fifth doctor in Pasir Puteh, Dr Lee T. W. I was immediately asked to stop whatever fancy medication i was having and just take the normal medicine. Viola! I can feel myself alive again! No more diarrhea, no more urge to vomit. I was told i was on wrong medication and the medicine itself is causing the diarrhea. Oh my.....

So much so we have been stressing to finish up antibiotics, but finally was told that i was taking the wrong antibiotics...I was thinking whether i should trust the doctors i consult the next time i see one. I learn to appreciate my body more and well, be more careful when consuming anything, be it food or medicine.

I don't think i would want to be on drip ever again. I have 4 holes on my hands now due to poking the wrong vein..(grrrr....pain la). I think i will think twice when i need to rush the food down my throat or when i have abundance of delicious food to eat.

Best thing about the whole ordeal was: I lost 6kg in a week. :)

Note: I am up and kicking again. It was indeed a great excuse for me to rest and stay away from the stress-laden life back in kl. Drawback? i missed one week's class. Hah. And my exam is coming wednesday. Essays? Not done still. Can you see stress seeping in again? I do.


  1. Hi, wish that you are well now. It sounded like a horrible ordeal for you.. :(

  2. Ouch, you poor thing, sick for a whole week... glad to hear that you're well again now though. Take good care of yourself!

  3. char bor... champion la... eat so much! greed.... haha.

    it does get a little scary when you go to govt hospitals. although i've never been to UH before, but even my own campus Pusat Kesihatan can also give wrong meds (and jab needles tak tentu arah). so much for instilling trust!

    do take care ok? not fun being sick when it's exam season!

  4. Hey, din see comments coming in. Sorry. I barely have time to read my own blog lately. Im having my study break now, so stealing some time off to ahem, online:p

    youngyew: Thanks! yeah, it was horrible. I was down with sore throat, flu and cough one day after i got well from my drug-induced diarrhea for another week. Anyway, I've fully recovered now :D (as of now, 26sept)! "wow, i din realise that was like one month ago".

    wp: Thanks wp. Im up and kicking again now. Mugging for my finals now. Ah! another 8days....I did took care of myself, just that i wasn't getting enough sleep and rest and too much stress at that time..hee...:P Im now mugging for my finals..Ah! another 8days to go...:p

    -chao-: hehe, yalor greed that brings sufferings!

    i agree. i was poked 4 times just to get my blood for testing and to get me on drip when they can actually do that with only one needle!

    They should really undergo some competence exam before they are allowed to serve the public to ensure patient's safety.